United Xbox Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 61 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 pm
Top posting users this month
No user

UXA360.com on

Facebook

New Page 3

United Xbox Alliance

Poll

Did you get the Xbox One?

Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" I_vote_lcap0%Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" I_vote_lcap100%Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" I_vote_rcap 100% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 1

Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave"

Go down

Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" Empty Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave"

Post  SacredEulogistX Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 am

IGN editors Mitch Dyer and Destin Legarie visited Double Fine this week for the first look at the developer’s next game, The Cave, an adventure game that doesn't stray far from the convention Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert are traditionally known for. That doesn't mean it's not trying interesting things to get players' attention, of course.

How did The Cave's aesthetic, humor, and design leave our guys feeling? They had a friendly conversation detailing their experience immediately after the event to figure it out themselves.

Mitch Dyer, Associate Editor: The Cave is, in hindsight, exactly the game we should have expected, right? I went in not knowing what would come from Ron Gilbert’s first project with Double Fine, but it really makes sense, both in the context of the designer’s history and what the adventure genre has become. The Cave is more action/platformer than point-and-click. It’s just about adventure, the kind of discoveries you make with friends in mysterious places. What did you think Destin?

Destin Legarie, Editor: I was definitely intrigued, especially by the character interactions, especially the cave. I like that it’s actually the driving force behind the narrative. It acts as the narrator, but at the same time doesn’t seem to be the focus. Instead, The Cave focuses on seven adventurers, three of which you can play as at a time. I’m really interested in seeing how each unique group will interact. What do you think the role of this “sultry sounding” cave will be?

Mitch: I love the idea of the cave as a character, and the fact that it’s aware of its sexy bass is pure Double Fine. It seems like it’ll be a guide more than an influence, but Gilbert was coy and smiling when I asked about it having a motive. I’m curious how it’ll drive and change these characters, who are almost class-based. Who did you like the most?

Destin: Well of the seven characters, we only got to see the Knight, Hillbilly, and Scientist in action. There's still the Time Traveler, Twins, Adventurer, and the Monk to meet, but we never saw how their abilities are utilized in gameplay. We know that the Knight has the ability to be protected by angels, allowing him to fall great distances and withstand massive amounts of damage, and we know the Hillbilly can breathe underwater indefinitely, but what about the Scientist and the rest? I really would need to know more before picking a favorite. Okay, I lied: it's the Knight. There's a dragon in his level. Who doesn't love dragons?

Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" Cave07-610x342
The Knight can take the heat while someone sneaks in the back.

Mitch: It's strange how likable and interesting this cast is after just 10 minutes of gameplay footage. I can remember each pulled lever, baited enemy, and solved puzzle vividly, in addition to what everyone looks like and how they play. The Cave is instantly memorable. I'm more excited than expected to dig into puzzles more complex than repairing a hot dog vending machine with a bucket of water (which is the funniest nod to absurd adventure game puzzles). Really, what gets me interested, aside from the art, is how involving The Cave seems to be. You switch between characters to play their role, sometimes helping certain stars in specific settings, or play co-op to do it together. Will you be my adventure buddy, Destin?

Destin: Of course. I will do everything in my power to leave you stranded and claim the treasure for myself. Mwa, ha ha ha, ha. Seriously though, that's what I'm really excited about: Sitting down with a group of friends and solving satisfying puzzles, while laughing at each subtle piece of humor interjected throughout our adventure.

Mitch: We'll need to find a third. Three-player co-op is weird, but I'm into it given the design and structure of these puzzles. They make you either work together or think for yourself, and there's a lot to understand, even if your goal is as simple as stealing gold from a snoozing dragon.

Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" Cave04-610x342
You'll need to go through the usual adventure steps to get past this thing.

So, yeah, our editors enjoyed their first look, so much so they're looking forward to who these characters are and what they can do in this world. The Cave releases for PC, PSN, and Xbox Live Arcade in 2013.

SacredEulogistX
SacredEulogistX
Founder
Founder

Double Fine's New Adventure for XBLA "The Cave" Uxacpr
Honor : 790

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eulogy76/143479372415974

Back to top Go down