United Xbox Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 61 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 pm
Top posting users this month
No user

UXA360.com on

Facebook

New Page 3

United Xbox Alliance

Poll

Did you get the Xbox One?

Trenched Review I_vote_lcap0%Trenched Review I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Trenched Review I_vote_lcap100%Trenched Review I_vote_rcap 100% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 1

Trenched Review

2 posters

Go down

Trenched Review Empty Trenched Review

Post  MrRaverX Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:59 pm

• One of the things I sometimes dislike about reviewing a game
    is that I'm not given as much time as I'd like with it. Not that I don't get to
    finish it, just that I'm not allowed to play at my own pace. But with developer
    Double Fine's Trenched I just couldn't help myself; within two days I had
    completely blasted through the campaign, grinding levels over and over again to
    max out my level and collect that oh-so-precious loot. I'm just going to say it:
    I love this game. Trenched takes place in a alternate world, where 1940s-esque
    soldiers pilot giant anthropomorphic machines called Trenches in an effort to
    fight a madman and his army of constructs. Part third-person shooter, part tower
    defense, Trenched challenges you to fight wave after wave of enemies in a
    variety of stages. Sometimes you're defending one position, other times you're
    defending multiple, but the goal is always the same: deploy turrets and use the
    guns on your mech to blast the holy hell out of anything you see. Collecting the
    "scrap" the enemies drop when they die allows you to deploy additional turrets
    (or emplacements), which look great as they fall from the sky before they drill
    into the ground.

A big part of the fun in Trenched is figuring out the right
    mech for the level at hand. Picking a chassis changes the amount of guns and
    emplacements you can bring, so once you've figure out your play style you have
    to decide what armaments suit the enemies ahead. If you want to play it like a
    shooter, pick a chassis that allows you to take a host of guns , supplementing
    your combat weaknesses with one or two emplacements. If you're more the sit back
    and watch type, you can take an engineer chassis with hardly any weapon slots
    and a bunch of emplacements, to create a network of turrets to hit your foes.
    Sometimes it's fun to bring an assault mech outfitted with six shotguns, while
    other times I felt like a badass when I'd manage to construct a mech that could
    fight long range, short range and everything in between.

It makes for a lot of replayability, as you can play levels
    super aggressively one time, or more strategically later. The best part about
    playing any stage, though, is collecting "loot boxes."There are simply few
    things better than the thrill of getting randomized loot that allows you to
    min-max your stats and damage output. I'm a nerd for constant tweaking and
    customization of my trench. It's downright addictive, and makes me replay stages
    over and over in hopes to get a shiny new gun or chassis. Besides a couple of
    boss battles, all the levels boil down to the simple goal of staying alive and
    defending a point. The reason it never gets old is due to the sheer
    entertainment that comes from utilizing your mech against a variety of enemy
    types. One second I find myself firing an artillery round into a crowd of
    enemies at long range, the next I'd be swarmed by tiny enemies that forced me to
    utilize my machineguns while falling back. You can never sit on your laurels
    while playing Trench, because just when you think you're ready for anything
    you're forced to adapt to a new combination of enemies. Not only that, but
    unless you've brought the right emplacements, it's up to you to go out there and
    collect the scrap they drop. Every stage becomes a dance between shooting and
    looting, and the few seconds between waves become precious. The gameplay is
    really well done, but what makes Trenched more than just another tower defense
    or shooter title is its well-developed atmosphere. The campaign story isn't that
    important to the levels themselves, but the writing is every bit as witty as
    I've come to expect from Double Fine. Between levels you return to a hub world
    on top of an aircraft carrier. Here you can inspect and customize your trench,
    choose your level, and invite friends to join you in your hub before taking to
    the field. The setting is just really well done, perfectly capturing the feeling
    of the alternate mid-20th century. Inviting some other players to join you in
    your hub is worth it too, because multiplayer makes replaying levels even
    better. It's a little too easy to play through stages with four players (despite
    more enemies or tougher mini-bosses), but with two to three players you can
    really experiment. One player can take on the role of a tank, leaving the other
    players to use weaker engineers or exotic combinations of weapons they wouldn't
    normally take. The best part, though? You get loot every time. Trenched is a
    pretty short game, but that doesn't really bother me since you can replay levels
    for more loot and experience. The things that do bother me are minor gameplay
    choices like the inability to destroy your own turrets. It sucks to take up a
    prime piece of real estate (turrets have to be placed a few feet apart) with the
    wrong type of turret cause you weren't paying attention. I could nitpick just
    about any game, but Trenched is fantastic despite any minor flaws it has.
    Closing Comments Trenched is the best downloadable game I’ve played all year.
    Its skillful blend of witty writing, fun shooting, and tactical tower defense
    makes for hours of replayable gameplay. Take into account the loot grind that
    Trenched inspires, and the online coop, and Double Fine’s created a title I hope
    turns into a franchise. IGN Ratings for Trenched (X360) Rating Description out
    of 10 Click here for ratings guide 9.0 Presentation Great writing, art direction
    and an awesome hub world make Trenched a pleasure even when you’re not firing
    guns. 9.0 Graphics Trenched looks great, and there’s a lot of attention to
    detail paid to destructible pieces of terrain, cool looking enemies, and awesome
    animation for turret deployment. 8.0 Sound The voice acting is great, but music
    is a little bit underwhelming during the missions. Still, the explosions and
    weapons sound good, and the enemies each sound unique. 9.0 Gameplay Loot, tower
    defense and third-person shooting are combined into an addictive and joyful
    experience. 9.0 Lasting Appeal I’ve beaten it almost twice now, and I know I’ll
    play it again and again. Multiplayer adds a lot of extra reason to keep doing it
    again and again. 9.0 OVERALL Amazing (out of 10)

Trenched is the best downloadable game I’ve played all
    year. Its skillful blend of witty writing, fun shooting, and tactical tower
    defense makes for hours of replayable gameplay.

9.0/10

It has quickly become my current favorite multiplayer
    experience on Live and is definitely my favorite tower defense game to date.

4.5/5

...completely enjoyable throughout.

4.5/5

Trenched manages something that you rarely, if
    ever, see in an XBLA game — it feels epic.

You’ll find the same kind of off-the-wall characters and
    hilarious writing as you did in previous Double Fine releases like Brütal
    Legend and Psychonauts, but charisma takes a backseat to the engaging,
    involving gameplay.

9.0/10

MrRaverX
    MrRaverX
    Founder
    Founder

Trenched Review Uxacpr
    Honor : 2567

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MrRaverX/201376999935174

Back to top Go down

Trenched Review Empty Re: Trenched Review

Post  B Plumbtree Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:17 pm

This is a fun game. Especially in co-op.
    B Plumbtree
    B Plumbtree
    Lt. Colonel
    Lt. Colonel

Honor : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:37 pm

I am thinking of getting this game not sure yet though.
    Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  B Plumbtree Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Check out the demo. Although the game is much more fun in co-op. IMO.
    B Plumbtree
    B Plumbtree
    Lt. Colonel
    Lt. Colonel

Honor : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down